The midterm is Monday, July 13, 4pm-6pm PT. Lectures 1-10 (up to July 7), discussions 1-5 (up to Cryptography III), homeworks 1-3, and project 1 are in scope for the midterm.
If you cannot take the exam at the scheduled time, please fill out this conflict form by Thursday, July 9 at the latest.
The exam will be proctored over Zoom. If you do not feel comfortable with video proctoring or don’t have the equipment for video proctoring, please make a private Piazza post by Thursday, July 9 so we can discuss alternatives (probably a short verbal assessment after the exam).
Before the exam:
- Complete homework 3 to be familiar with the exam format.
- Print out the midterm answer sheet midterm answer sheet. If you do not have a printer access, please write and clearly label your answers on a blank sheet of paper.
- Prepare any cheat sheets. You can have as many handwritten (on paper) cheat sheets as you want.
- Download Zoom on your smartphone and experiment with a video recording setup (see below).
- Make sure you’ve received an email with a Zoom meeting link and an encrypted PDF of the exam questions. (This will probably be sent out Sunday evening.)
On the day of the exam:
- Position your smartphone so that we can clearly see your answer sheet and your computer/tablet screen. You can see examples of setups from course staff here.
- At the exam start time, we will email you the password to decrypt the PDF. Make sure to start your video feed before the exam starts.
During the exam:
- Only the exam PDF and the clarifications page should be on your computer screen.
- You should not be typing during the exam, except to ask for clarifications.
- We will have a form where you can ask clarification questions. We will not answer clarification questions directly - if your question is answered, it will be displayed on the clarifications page. Please check the clarifications page periodically during the exam.
After the exam:
- Use your smartphone to take a picture of your answer sheet, and upload it to Gradescope no later than 15 minutes after the end of the exam.
- Please do not discuss the exam with anyone until all alternate exams have finished.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- If you need to use the bathroom: leave the video feed on, showing your answer sheet and your computer/tablet screen, while you’re away.
- If your Internet quality is poor, you can choose to upload a recording instead of using Zoom. Please make a private post on Piazza if you’d like to upload a recording.
- Don’t worry if your video feed disconnects briefly during the exam.
- If you cannot upload your answer sheet to Gradescope in time, you can email a picture of the answer sheet to email@example.com.
- If you encounter significant technical problems, don’t worry about video proctoring and focus on finishing the exam. We may ask you to take a short verbal exam afterwards.